Let’s talk about TED!
Today you will:
- Get back your SAT Vocabulary Word #2 Quizzes (Erick, Jailene, Bryan, Jonathan and Jailene: you still need to take this.)
- Read about the background, format, and rules of TED Talks
- Watch a TED Talk by Bryan Stevenson called “We Need to Talk About An Injustice”
- Follow along with the TED Talk using a printed out transcript and highlight meaningful parts
- Respond to questions about the TED Talk, including comparisons between this format and the stand-up comedy formats we encountered during our last unit
- Complete the SAT Vocabulary Word #3 Planning Sheet
- View a tutorial about Animoto, the tool we will be using on Wednesday to create short videos for your words
Use the handout to read about TED Talk history, format and “commandments.”
Bryan Stevenson’s TED Talk, “We Need to Talk About An Injustice”:
Use the printed out transcript to follow along with the TED Talk and highlight meaningful parts. Be prepared to share 1-2 highlighted parts with the class.
On the handout provided, respond in writing to the following questions:
- What part of this TED Talk most resonated with you and why?
- What makes for an engaging, interesting speech?
- How can technology enhance a presentation?
- How is this format different from the stand-up comedy formats we encountered during our last unit? How is each effective differently?
SAT Vocabulary Word #3:
Your week 3 words are:
- Kendra and Gilian: perfidious
- Christian and Bryan: integrity
- Alex and Briana: procrastinate
- Jailene and Claudia: longevity
- Adrian and Jason: submissive
- Erick and Gualter: diligent
- Yunior and Kris: resilient
- Natalia and Ashlei: querulous
- Johnny and Jose: deleterious
- Maria and Lizmarie: empathy
- Diamond and Jonathan: arid
- Romy and Jaaron: surreptitious
With your partner, complete the SAT Vocabulary Word Planning Sheet in preparation for creating a video on Wednesday.
Check out the tool we’ll be using to make the videos: